googleplus linkedin pinterest snapchat vimeo youtube

Communication Sciences & Disorders Undergraduate Programs

Professionals in the field of communication disorders evaluate, treat and conduct research into human communication and swallowing disorders. These disorders result from causes such as stroke, brain injury, hearing loss, developmental delay, cleft palate, cerebral palsy or emotional problems.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of speech-language pathologists is projected to grow 19 percent from 2012 to 2022, faster than the average for all occupations. As the baby boomer population ages, the need for professionals who can address speech and language impairments is expected to increase.

Practice Settings

  • Elementary and Secondary Schools
  • Hospitals/Medical Centers
  • Offices of Audiologists
  • Nursing/Residential Care Facilities
  • Offices of Physical, Occupational & Speech Therapists

The bachelor’s degree in speech-language pathology at The University of Tulsa provides undergraduate students with a strong academic and clinical foundation for graduate work in the areas of speech-language pathology or audiology.

Students who complete both their undergraduate and graduate degrees in speech-language pathology at The University of Tulsa will have the academic and clinical practicum requirements for Oklahoma state licensure, Oklahoma school certification and certification by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA). The bachelor of science degree in speech-language pathology provide a comprehensive educational experience consisting of academic course work, clinical training and research opportunities for students pursuing professional careers in speech-language pathology.

Speech-language Pathology, B.S.S.P.

Prepares students for graduate study since the master’s degree is the entry level into the profession.

Speech-language Pathology Minor

Non-majors interested in learning more about speech-language are encouraged to add it as a minor.

Early Intervention Minor
An interdisciplinary minor for students who plan to work with young children with special needs and their families. It is recommended for, but not limited to, students in communication disorders, education, nursing, and psychology.